As many of you know I’m addicted to baking at the moment. So the other day Kathleen and I were out shopping for food. We always frequent many shops to get the most healthy and / or best price. In this city there are so many food stores to chose from, there are small shops “around the next corner” and big mall’s. I can’t remember where it was exactly but I think it was in a Pakistani specialty shop that my wife all of a sudden grabbed a frozen bag of Bagels and stated: “Oh I really love bagels!”
I really love everything about my wife, but I always get grumpy when she wants to buy frozen bread … I feel offended and that doesn’t really serve me in any way. So I have worked hard on changing my own attitude. You know you can’t change your partner, you can only change your own attitude or nonsense or stupidity, whatever you prefer to call it.
“So she really love Bagels eh” – and here I am having absolutely no clue what so ever about what a Bagel is. I never had one. “We make real food in Denmark” – flew through my mind (but I didn’t say that as I was planning to get laid later). Nope never had one. They looked like donuts with sesame seeds on them, quite silly actually, there was a hole in the middle of the bread. Why would anyone make bread with a hole? Hmm … I had to try to make these things.
So there the next morning – Saturday – I got up early and started on my little Bagel project. I read all I had on the theme and it seems that there was as many recipes as there was book writers. So I just grabbed a random recipe and started out.
I can assure you that you won’t get fat from baking your own bread. You might get fat from eating it all in two minutes, but if you do bake your own bread, then you will get a lot of exercise, meditative healing and inner peace. And who doesn’t want that? Right? And another thing is, that people only get fat from eating bread because they don’t get enough exercise. You drive your car and buy unhealthy bread filled with stuff that makes it last forever. A bread should not last more than 3 days.
Now here is my idea: Walk, or take your bicycle, make it a trip, go all the way to the store on the other side of town, you know, to that shop that sells the good flour, and carry it all home. Trust me, after that and kneading and stirring for thirty minutes, you will actually lose weight.
So, my little Bagel project.
First time it turned out that the dough was too soft and I let it sit too long. Second time the dough was nice to work with but much too dry and I ended up with pretzels kind of things. But the third time I mixed several recipes with my own knowledge of bread making and I nailed it. And here is the entire show-off:
1) 1 cup of lukewarm water.
1.2) sprinkle the water with a good tablespoon of dried yeast.
2) Prepare 3 cups of nicely loved flour in a bowl .
2.2) Sprinkle 2 tsp of salt and 2 sugar over the flour. (use stevia if you are scared of sugar).
2.3) Mix and make a well in the flour.
3) Whip up 2 eggs with 2 tbs of sunflower oil or similar. (If you are scared of egg’s, use more water).
4) When you can smell the yeast pour it all, the egg mix included, into the flour well and start stirring. Then knead the dough for 10 or more minutes. You will feel that the dough change to “silky smooth” when its kneaded properly.
5) Let it sit in a quiet place in a bowl for 1 hour (or until doubled in size) keep it covered.
6) Then push the dough down and divide into 8 pieces.
6.2) Roll each piece out (8″ or 25 cm) so that you can make them round Bagel rings.
7) Let rest for 20 minutes (covered with wet towl).
8) Meanwhile you can boil up some water in a big pot and start the oven (400F or 205C).
9) Boil the bagels for 2-3 minutes, but make sure that there is room for the rings to swell up in the pot.
10) Place them on a baking plate and brush with egg and sprinkle on sesame or puppy seeds or something like that.
11) Now bake them for 20-25 minutes.
12) Before serving give them a good toast in a toaster, add your favorite spread, I love very strong Danish cheese on my Bagel, Kathleen love peanutbutter on her.
It’s that easy! Enjoy the rest of your day!