I have been saddened by a few posts on social media depicting Karma as some kind of cosmic punishment system. The notion that one can wish bad things on others for perceived wrongs is an injustice to the actual meaning of the 12 laws of Karma. Here are two examples of quotes I found on Pinterest and Facebook:
“I hope Karma slaps you in the face before I do” then the pinner wrote this, “that bitch will get it in the end and that thing that sits on his ass all the time to. Karma they are just nuts. No Karma just stupid people.”
“Sad how some people believe their own lies and the stories they make up in their heads” the comment typed underneath was, “You deserve the monster in your life, you are a bitch and a narc too. Karma you get it just by being with him.”
There is so much verbal violence in these statements it is astounding! That is a lot of anger and jealousy to walk around with. The author(s) must be in so much pain that I can only feel compassionate empathy for them. The idea of Karma has been twisted and these are just two examples I am sharing, there are hundreds more. However in this instance where does the idea of Karma land? On the author(s) or their intended victim(s)?
Strictly speaking there are 12 Laws of Karma…… not one…… and they are:
- The Great Law- What you reap, you sow or in other words….. we are responsible for our own Karma. I cannot control or direct Karma to anyone if I choose to do this then I am creating my own negative Karma….. not sending it to another person. If I wish bad things to happen to another, even if I believe they have wronged me, I am creating a negative Karma for myself. If you have been wronged then learn the lesson, let it go and live in compassionate harmony with the world. Sending verbally violent messages will not cause anymore discomfort to the intended victim. You will be at the receiving end of the Karma you wished on another.
- The Law of Creation- “what we desire comes through participation-” It is your responsibility to ensure that what you are surrounding yourself with thoughts and deeds are conducive to the life you desire to create for yourself. Engage in life and the people around you, put the electronic devices away for a little while and immerse yourself in the beauty of human contact. Your life is created by your intentions.
- The Law of Humility- we must accept the circumstances around us in order to change them. Focusing on the negative will not solve a problem it will enhance it. Accept what you cannot change, make a plan, ask for help and change your life. You cannot control what others do, you can only control yourself and your environment.
- the Law of Growth- our intentions set the stage for how we deal with problems. If your intention is to make positive changes, commit to yourself and put it into action. How you decide to let yourself grow determines whether you will have positive or negative results. You can grow beyond what you perceive as holding you back.
- The Law of Responsibility- we are responsible for our own lives, inner turbulence is unhealthy and invites negative circumstances. Change the way you view your life, shift your perspective.
- The Law of Connection- “Everything in the Universe is Connected… both large and small-” The past, present and future are all connected. If you are angry you are living in the past, if you are depressed you are living in the future but if you are calm and focused you are living for this moment.
- The Law of Focus-“One cannot direct attention beyond a single task-” spiritually speaking we cannot have negative thoughts and expect positive outcomes. You should direct all your energy to bringing about the positive outcome… Let go.
- The Law of Hospitality and Giving-“Demonstrating our selflessness shows our true intention-” Selflessness is a virtue and if our actions do not back up our intention then spiritual growth is next to impossible.
- The Law of Change- until you change your actions and intentions then negative situations will continue to happen. Remember the definition of insanity by Eleanor Roosevelt?, doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result. Change your perspective, your intention and your action so it lines up with what you want.
- The Law of Here and Now- Harbouring ill feelings about the past will only serve to keep you from having the joy in your life that you deserve. Old thoughts and patterns negate any efforts to bring about true harmony in your life.
- The Law of Patience and Reward-“Nothing of value is created without a patient mindset”, wishful thinking will not bring to you rewards and the life you want. Do something everyday that will bring about the end result you desire. Stay positive without harmful thoughts and feelings.
- The Law of Significance and Inspiration-“The best reward is the one that contributes to the whole”, in other words, positive, compassionate and loving thoughts and deeds will bring the peace you crave to yourself and those in your environment. Be mindful of the legacy you are leaving behind.
I believe the author(s) of the above stated quotes have created negative Karma for themselves by first wishing harm on another and secondly by not educating themselves and truly understanding the concept of Karma. There are 12 Laws to follow not just the first. All of the Laws matter for a really good reason. What about the intended victim? If there was a wrong done then the other person has created Karma that they will have to deal with. It’s that simple. When you say and/or read Harm none, that includes verbal violence, jealousy, anger and negative actions.
Educate yourself, ask questions, form a plan and develop a support system. Allow the positive compassionate changes to happen in your life. You are in complete control of your mind…… Don’t be afraid….. Let go and allow the peace and harmony you want into your life.